Liken Me Icarus

If I could be Icarus
For just one day
And feel the wind
Like water upon my breast
Swimming the ether with wings spread wide...
T'would be enough to see the earth
Move silently below...
I needn't fly too near the sun

But if I could be Icarus
For just one day…
To see the Parthenon
Like a mirror below
The temple of Athena shimmering white...Perhaps Troy
And the face that launched a millennia of ships...
T'would be enough to see
The sun is not near high enough, I know
And the shaping of wings no mortal man knows...
T'would be enough for me.

But Is there aught in the heavens worth dying for?
The sun, the moon, the gods or their stars?

          "...Do not fly too near the sun, my son..."

There is a time to be satisfied with what we are given
And a time to fly higher than we dare
If I could be Icarus
For just one day
I would hope to choose more wisely?


ELAshley
112998.112200.1
Final revision:
042001.123151.6

0 comments: