Emily's Six

Emily will soon be six
And I must work to gather sticks
To build the fire around which we
Shall roast our mallows with quiet glee

Six is what Miss Em will be
And we shall sit beneath the tree
We planted on the day she came
And told us all her beautiful name

We’ll all wear hats for Em’s birthday
And laugh and dance – what games we’ll play
We’ll kill and eat the fatted cake
And eat ice cream till our tummy’s break

And then Miss Em will open her gift
And it shall give my heart a lift
To see her smile in wondrous surprise
And say, I thank you, with her eyes

Yet for now I’ll gather sticks
For Emily shall soon be six
I long to see her innocent smile
If only for a little while



ELAshley
042001.022606.1
On the Occassion of Emily's Sixth Birthday
Revised:
042001.114836.1

0 comments: